Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm Melting!

Well, the humidity is back!

Fourth of July weekend was a bit of a bust - I worked 25 hours between Friday and Sunday and basically watched everyone else have a good time and gave them their coffee. At least I made some good money! We are a bit short staffed at the coffee shop and the bosses made us extend hours over the holiday so EVERYONE was working. My next day off isn't until next Monday - I will have worked for nine days in a row! I can't think about it too much, but at least the paycheck makes it worth it!

I have my first session with my GRE tutor on Thursday - I'm nervous! Applying to grad school is starting to freak me out - I hate putting myself in a position to be judged! I know I'm qualified and that I have found the right program for me, but it's hard to put myself out there and have someone else decide what I deserve. Hopefully it all works out! It's going to be weird to get back into study mode again - luckily standardized tests have always been a strong suit for me, so hopefully the GRE will really help my applications.

On the totally cool side, one of my bosses from my internship last summer has basically given me free reign to write my OWN recommendation - he says he will sign whatever I write. AWESOME!

On the fitness side, today was interesting. I was originally going to run at 6 AM before work, but last night our neighbors decided to put on a two hour fireworks show that then drove all the dogs nearby crazy, so needless to say I didn't get much sleep and opted to stay in bed a bit longer in the morning. By the time I got out of work at 2:30 the sun was high in the sky, but I wasn't going to sacrifice a workout just because of a little heat. I ended up mixing things up a little bit - instead of doing a regular three mile run I decided to run one mile at my max pace and then go easy for the second and third miles. Mile 1 was a speedy 8:07! My usual pace is around 10 minutes, so I was pretty pumped to see a time like that! The next two miles definitely weren't as fast - went to about 11:30 minute miles - but it was fun to see how fast I could go! I was proud of myself for not losing it after mile 1, definitely a tough workout!

Now I'm being very careful to move as little as possible in an effort to stay cool. I've got a Band of Brothers marathon to keep me company!

No comments:

Post a Comment